Monday, November 27, 2006

Jobs I've Had

I was recently thinking of all the jobs I have had in my life. I remember in college that my economics professor told us that unlike our parents our generation would have many jobs over a lifetime.

How true that statement was. So here is my list of the jobs I have had since my teenage years.

**********************************************************

Newspaper delivery, Jacksonville, FL (1 yr)–banana seat bicycle and an AM radio rubber banded to my handlebars.

Foshee Piano and Organ Co. Pensacola, FL (2 yrs) – I actually dropped a brand new upright piano off the back of a delivery truck!

Treasure Chest Printing, Tampa, FL – (Lasted 1 week). It was a 12-hour night shift while I was in high school! I hated this job more than any other I ever had.

Gaylord’s Department Store, New Orleans, LA (1 yr) – Stock boy – This building is now the Student Center for the New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary.

H J Wilson’s (became Service Merchandise) (2 yrs) – Started as assistant warehouse manager – became the youngest manager in the co. (19). This is one of my favorite jobs of all time.

Front desk and toilet paper distribution (1 semester) – Louisiana College, Pineville, LA - Tutor Hall (Boys Dorm) Work-study job – need I say more?

Washed vans at Sears, Alexandria, LA (couple months)

Game room Director, Louisiana College (1 yr) – my first job interview where I went up against another person and won. Introduced a pinball machine that doubled our income in the game room.

Yearbook Editor, Louisiana College, Pineville, LA – ( 1 yr) Made an “F” when the yearbook sponsor cut my scholarship AFTER the yearbook was complete and then insisted that I work on the next year’s book. I was not the biggest team player at the time and decided to walk. My only failing grade in college.

Rapides Area Planning Commission, Alexandria, LA – (8 yrs) This started as a part time gig. I was a public admin student at LC and wanted to get into politics. Ended up being Assistant Director several years down the road. I owe a lot to this job but will write more on that later.

Premier Bank, Baton Rouge, LA (Later part of Bank One) (2 yrs) – GREAT job – worked with some really fun folks. MOVE CREW RULES! More stories on this job later.

University Stores Director, LSU, Baton Rouge, LA (2 years) – My first job where I really felt I ran the place. I had a great staff, a great boss and I could have stayed at this job for the rest of my life. Nothing like working on a college campus – the energy was great! LSU #1!!!!!!!! Left for more $$$$$.

Office Depot Business Services Division – (1 yr)Out of my home – Corporate accounts manager for all of Louisiana except New Orleans. Sales! Yuck! Never again. But I worked with some really great people.

International Mission Board, SBC – Missionary (5 yrs) - Served in Costa Rica and Mexico. I was not a good missionary – but God taught me what a servant heart meant. I learned more about myself in these 5 years than in any other job or period in my life. Many stories are forthcoming from these years.

Halbert’s Nursery, Forest Hill, LA (current) – My wife and I now run this family business. I thank God daily for this opportunity!

Twin Bridges Baptist Church, Alexandria, LA - Pastor (Bi-vocational) (current) Too new to comment much. Great People!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Brent --
Its funny when you start to think of all those job's you've had and all the great people you used to work with, sometimes time can distort your memory. For instance, I remember working at
HJ Wilson's in East New Orleans too. I had this boss in the warehouse who didn't do much ;) - the slacker. I did all of the work. I remember him driving to work in a big blue rust bucket. Geesh - what a dork!! Catch you later, pal

Anonymous said...

testing, having trouble commenting

Anonymous said...

Hey Brent.. I work for Foshee Piano also from 1977 till he closed up. Did the electronic repairs. Did you work at the store at Westwood Mall?

Donnie Lee
donnie@proaudiotech.net

Anonymous said...

Brent -
So glad to see how well your life has turned out!
Congratulations on all of your successes - may they continue and grow - looks like you have a green thumb!
It's good to see that East Brent made some kind of impression on you! ha ha

Congrats Again -
Just Me

Brent Dix said...

Thanks for stopping by 'Just Me' - May I ask who you are? Thanks, Brent

Anonymous said...

You may - someone from your Pensacola high school days who wanted to say "Hi".
You're Welcome, Sherry.

Anonymous said...

You may - someone from your Pensacola high school days who wanted to say "Hi".
You're Welcome, Sherry.

Brent Dix said...

Hey Sherry! What a surprise - has it been 30 years?????? Write me at halberts@cebridge.net Are you on facebook? You still in P'cola? Looking forward to hearing from you. Brent